Thursday, February 13, 2014

Blog #10, Bus Related, Cleaning the new 8V71 from Ed's, inspecting to find out what is needed to assemble before testing engine.

Well This week in Greenville, SC and most of the South East Seaboard it has been a real bummer weather wise.  Records are being broken for cold, snow, sleet and loss of wages for people not having vacation time to cover this time off,  Kids out of school, yippee, yea right, and just a damn mess because lots of us have been and probably are still without power.  We are spoiled and I am sure will all be glad to have our normal life back, our I pods, and all those toys working normal again. 

Well I did not get much work done on my engine this week except for going last week to Gene Russel's and getting two used aluminum valve covers for my new engine to replace the 2 steel one's I had on it when I purchased the engine from Ed.  The Steel valve covers don't seal down very good and allow the engine pressure to push fuel out the valve cover gaskets and down the engine making a mess.  so I cleaned them up, I had to remove a vent cover from one of them and a oil fill opening from the other and blank off the valve covers with aluminum, then I painted them with Chrome Paint to make them nice and clean to at least look nice when I put the engine back in anyhow. I would hope the chrome paint will stick for a while anyhow but it has to be better than the old raw aluminum look that they had before I cleaned them up.

Ed's steel valve covers on his/my 8V71 engine, these gotta go, they leak and look like heck
one aluminum valve cover with turbo vent in center from Gene Russell's

Vent cover removed, hole plugged with aluminum cover

 Aluminum valve cover plugged in center and painted with Chrome paint with Detroit Diesel letters darkened for effect, I like it!!


After bringing back Ed's engine, Now Mine, I had to repeat what I did to my old one, I had to pressure wash it and inspect it for anything missing or needed.  What I had to replace even though this engine was rebuilt 49,000 miles ago etc. I had to find out now.  So I again capped off every opening possible in preparation to pressure wash.  I had to rig up a gasket under the covers that Ed made out of wood to take the place of the exhaust manifold that was removed to give to Kentucky Steve as he needed some.  I did not want water from my pressure washer to get into the engine as I washed it down.  I got out my pressure washer and for over an hour I washed and washed all the grease etc, off that I could to get a good look at what I had to do. After the engine dried in the sun I started the duty, again of looking deeper at what I had to work with.

I removed all the air box covers on both sides of the engine under where the exhaust manifold is supposed to be.  Since I did not have any Manifold Exhaust on it  had very little problem removing the air box inspection covers.  There was absolutely nothing in the air box covers which was a relief to me for starters.  I temporarily put the air box inspection covers back on knowing I was going to put them back on with new gaskets and new bolts.  All external bolts were going to be replaced and all those internal that I would be working with also would be replaced, that is just me, and each one would be tightened to a Detroit Diesel Bible torque spec.

I knew I had to change out my old oil pan on my old motor to the the motor as we damaged the new engine oil pan trying to turn up straight the new engine while at Eds.  That was no big deal changing out the oil pans.   I made my cradle just big enough, to slide out the old oil pan and after cleaning off the gasket surface real good, put the new oil pan and new gasket on the new engine.  I did not tighten down the new oil pan as I knew the oil pan had to be lowered to assemble the bell-housing to the engine and attach the oil pan to the bell-housing.

I started to remove all the gears on the drive end of the engine, using  2 harmonic balance pullers I bought from from Harbor Freight.  You need to use 2 pullers at once to pull the 2 interlocking camshaft gears at the same time as the gears inter- twist together when they come off. Package of 2 that I bought of pullers to pull of engine gears.

The engine camshaft drive gears have to be removed to remove the 3/16" thick safety protection plate behind the gears to install a new sealing gasket from the engine to the plate. You have to remove the gears and protection plate to install the new engine to protection plate gasket other wise you will have a mess all over the bell-housing with engine lubricant on the outside edge of your entire bell housing and have another oily mess.
Engine with gears I need to dis-assemble to remove protection plate behind the gears
All gears removed from engine, next thing to remove is the 3/16" protection plate

Protection plate removed, gasket surface now needs cleaning for re-installation of protection plate and new gasket
3/16 drive gear protection plate ready for cleaning of gasket surface and installation of new gasket and re-assembly to engine

When you remove these gears they have to be kept separate so you reassemble them on the same side as they were removed for proper timing and engine gear alignment.  Time has to be taken to remove everything, bolts are of various lengths and have to be either replaced using the same grade and lengths like I did or if you personally choose to reuse the old bolts in the same locations as removed.  You will need to clean all parts as removed, bag the small bolts and small parts, gears etc. after cleaning and identify them with magic marker.  Do the cleaning of each removed part as you remove it, do not place in a pile and then clean at one time.  You will screw up here, but this is your engine and not the way I do things. 

This is an investment well worth the money for a engine rebuild, repair or anything for cleaning of parts.  Purchased from Harbor Freight 10 years ago, just now using it!!!

This will be enough for tonight, I do not have my photos posted to photobucket as yet, there is too much to do, will post them tomorrow and update here on this blog where you can go directly to more photos to view of my engine clean up and the findings I found.  Actually I will make a full post as I have more to say and just include those pictures to these for you to view.  

Have a good night, Hope the weather does not cause you or anyone any harm in your Family.  Tell those you love that you love them and mean it. 
Garylee


  

No comments:

Post a Comment